Why you need them? Probiotics aid in absorption of nutrients. They ensure your body can absorb vitamins, minerals, and proteins from foods. They also affect the number of neurotransmitters produced in the gut which impact mood, motivation and cognitive function.
Fat loss – a Japanese study found that by increasing probiotics for four weeks participants lost an average of 8.2 percent body fat. Researchers believe probiotics aid in burning body fat by raising metabolism and ant-inflammatory signal called ” adiponectin” that improves the body’s ability to burn fat.
Detoxification – Probiotics displace harmful bacteria and improve the body’s ability to eliminate waste products and foreign compounds.
So, probiotics are indeed important!
Honorable mention list:
Magnesium -Magnesium is a mineral that is often overlooked and it is affects more than 300 processes in the body. So, when a body is deficient it can feel as if it is falling apart!
Why you need it? the quality of soil in the U.S has dropped, combine this with the increase in processed food consumption and we have a huge increase in magnesium deficiency among the American population. In 1900 the avg daily consumption of magnesium in one’s diet was 500 mg/day. Today the average is well below the RDA at 225 mg/day.
- Magnesium has a calming effect on the nervous system reducing stress and leading to restful sleep.
- Seratonin is dependent on magnesium. Magnesium supplementation is a natural way to get seratonin levels up without having to use anti depressants.
- Magnesium is key for healthy blood sugar levels.
- Magnesium deficiency sends nervous system into overdrive leading to increased stress and high blood pressure.
- Exercise increases need for magnesium by 10-20% due to sweat, stress management, fighting inflammation and allowing the body to clear cortisol( stress hormone).
How to take it:
Scientists recommend 10 mg/kg/body weight. Look for magnesium bound to any of the following: citrate, malate, glycinate, threonate, taurate, fumarate or crotate. Best results come from different forms in different doses. Example: take magnesium glycinate after a workout and then a blended magnesium at subsequent meals.